Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Texas Inspections  (Read 335 times)

Rox86

• Dippy Groupie
  • Southern California
Texas Inspections
« on: November 09, 2019, 08:20:09 »

Hello all,

So my wife and I just pulled the trigger on moving to Austin, TX. Coming from California I'm excited about the lack of smog checks.

But first I think our Fifth will need to pass the safety inspection. Any Texas members on here know how strict the inspections are? Our Fifth is a work in progress for sure but never had to pass a safety inspection. My big worry is the front end bushings. Lights I can fix easily, just haven't got around to it yet. Brakes are brand new from master cylinder to pads.

Hopefully once we get settled in I'll be asking about mods to the engine. Never been able to do anything to it before in CA.

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

DTSNEO6

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Die-Hard
  • TX
Re: Texas Inspections
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 00:10:25 »

Basically all the equipment from the factory needs to work. Lights, high beam indicator, parking brake...etc. In Travis county you will need a emissions test, but if i recall correctly, as long as the smog equipment is installed it should pass, it may pass without but i doubt it. I do not think the emissions test will as strict as California.

I'm unsure if the front end bushings are checked but there should not be excessive play in them or anything else to prevent the safe operation of the vehicle. Steering wheel play is checked i believe, as well.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/inspection/inspectioncriteria.aspx

choose passenger vehicle from type of vehicle list.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 00:12:13 by DTSNEO6 »
Ex NHP 1984 Plymouth Gran Fury. WIP...
1987 Plymouth Gran Fury civvie.
1986 Dodge Diplomat

Rox86

• Dippy Groupie
  • Southern California
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 11:02:22 »

For emissions, I thought Texas was anything 25 years and older was exempt.

There's no play in the front end, that's beyond normal anyway for an older car. But bushings are pretty shot. This taillight issue is looking to be more difficult than I thought though.

Thanks for the link, I'll use it as a checklist when I go through the car.

DTSNEO6

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Die-Hard
  • TX
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 21:03:29 »

On the pages I sent you that would be correct. vehicles 2 to 24 years old require emissions test if primarily driven in Travis and Williamson Counties, Among other counties. Older vehicles do not for require emissions testing the most part.

If you have any other questions let me know,I live outside of Austin in an adjacent county.
Ex NHP 1984 Plymouth Gran Fury. WIP...
1987 Plymouth Gran Fury civvie.
1986 Dodge Diplomat

Rox86

• Dippy Groupie
  • Southern California
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 21:47:55 »

Oh okay. I thought I'd have to do an initial smog check to get registered then be exempt after that. That's good to know.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as things come up. Thank you for the help!
Pages: [1] |   Go Up