Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuel Line from Tank to Pump  (Read 883 times)

stauwin

• Dippy Regular
  • Pennsylvania
  • Stauwin
Fuel Line from Tank to Pump
« on: March 12, 2020, 17:08:31 »

Has anyone ever replaced the line that feeds the fuel pump? I have fuel leeking out of my frame rail and I'm assuming the worst.

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

GertrudesFifthAve

• Dippy Groupie
  • Warwick, RI
Re: Fuel Line from Tank to Pump
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 06:20:28 »

Where is the leak?  If you can poke around a little and figure out where it is coming from I can help you better. There are some areas where rubber lines connect the metal lines.  If it is a rubber line, it's  pretty easy fix.  If the metal line is rusted or damaged, it is a little more complicated, but not the end of the world. 

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 11:42:10 »

Many here have had the fuel line rust and leak that runs along the frame rail because dirt builds up in there, holds moisture, and causes rust. Not the end of the world, as mentioned. You'll get some help from those who have had to replace that line.
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 12:13:34 »

It is very common for the line to to along the frame behind the front wheels. Easy to fix as there is a hose connection at either end of it.

MyDodgeDip

• Dippy Oracle
  • Somerville, NJ
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 05:38:07 »

Gets a little tricky when it's bad where it runs through the frame rail, under the upper control arm.  I've put one in, it was a little annoying.  Most people run a new line a different way.
~Luke
1978 Chrysler Lebaron Coupe, 360-4, Sunroof
+ A Fleet of K cars...

GertrudesFifthAve

• Dippy Groupie
  • Warwick, RI
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 10:02:33 »

How did you make out Stauwin?  We are all wondering if you solved the issue!  My Fifth is still sleeping for the winter - I was thinking I might get it out over the next few weeks.Fred

stauwin

• Dippy Regular
  • Pennsylvania
  • Stauwin
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 14:54:02 »

Sorry for the delay. I have a few projects going at the moment and the dip is being worked on in the driveway. Unfortunately, the weather hasn't been great recently, so digging into the fuel line took a bit of a back seat. It is leaking where it runs through the chassis rail, just not sure which line is actually leaking. I'm thinking it's the return since I don't notice it running poorly. I may, just run two new lines that route around that section of the chassis rail.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll keep you updated how it turns out.

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 10:31:58 »

Sorry for the delay. I have a few projects going at the moment and the dip is being worked on in the driveway. Unfortunately, the weather hasn't been great recently, so digging into the fuel line took a bit of a back seat. It is leaking where it runs through the chassis rail, just not sure which line is actually leaking. I'm thinking it's the return since I don't notice it running poorly. I may, just run two new lines that route around that section of the chassis rail.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll keep you updated how it turns out.
Unacceptable! You are hearby tossed out of dippy.org land! Haha just kidding. We understand. Good luck, and yes, keep us posted.
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

stauwin

• Dippy Regular
  • Pennsylvania
  • Stauwin
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 17:19:52 »

I have determined that is indeed the fuel supply line that is leaking and it is leaking somewhere in the frame rail. What I am noticing, is that it is secured to the frame rail somwhere inside maybe. Some of you said that you have replaced this line before. Does the upper control arm have to be removed and/or is the top of the frame rail removeable?

Depending on the answers to those questions, where have others run a new fuel line. I'm considering just running the new line right above the frame but a little concerned about control arm clearance.

MyDodgeDip

• Dippy Oracle
  • Somerville, NJ
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 16:34:57 »

I didn't take the upper control arm off when I did mine, maybe I disconnected the upper ball joint to lift the upper control arm out of the way some more.  I think I just fed the new line through right where the old on ran, it's been a while so I'm a little fuzzy on details unfortunately. 
~Luke
1978 Chrysler Lebaron Coupe, 360-4, Sunroof
+ A Fleet of K cars...

stauwin

• Dippy Regular
  • Pennsylvania
  • Stauwin
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 14:51:59 »

I'll have to take an even closer look. It didn't look like it was open enough to put another line in, just a hole big enough for the original. I'll clean out all the road debris and see what my options are.

stauwin

• Dippy Regular
  • Pennsylvania
  • Stauwin
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 11:05:56 »

I'm not super proud of it, but I ended up running the new fuel line on the outside of the frame between the K member and the frame. I drilled a hole through the seam at the back of the wheel arch and plumbed it directly into the remainder of the factory line. It works and nobody will really see it. Maybe I'll figure out a better solution when I get around to doing the engine work. Thanks for the help!
Pages: [1] |   Go Up