Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Touchy brakes  (Read 6483 times)

moparmuscle88

• Gearhead
  • Inactive
  • Dippy God
  • Westminster, MD
Re: Touchy brakes
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 21:28:18 »

drill a few holes in the drum ive had a ton of success with this in older cars never had one crack, it just lets some air in and increases stopping power bigtime on front wheel drum cars
'88 Fifth Avenue 318 4bbl, cammed, hooker super comps w/ 2.5 duals w/ x pipe, eddy streetmaster single plane, 360 heads, mancini racing alternator kit, HEI ignition, 7.25 sure grip w/ 3.73's A999 (slippin) no a/c no smog, just motor...

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

Ice Cold

• Dippy Oracle
  • Frozen Wastelands, Canada
  • Mopar or No Car
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 22:03:57 »

Old tip, but 89 Crown Vic drums are a perfect match and are a much nicer pc.
1988 Fifth Ave
1987 Diplomat
1989 Diplomat AHB
1979 Lebaron Medallion 4dr
1979 Lebaron Coupe
1977 Aspen R/T
All drivers.
Too many cars and still looking.

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 05:28:23 »

they are ugly :x just looking at pictures of them on a NAPA website, then looked at the price from rockauto,com even they want almost $40 each before shipping, I would rather go with original for that price!
When told the reason for daylight savings time an old Indian said, “only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket”

fifthcrunch

• Dippy God
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 05:46:48 »

I agree with everybody.  These are all possible.  To add two more, hot spots on a drum (these can be there from new) can do it.  Sometimes turning the drum takes care of that.  Sometimes the hot spots are too deep and the drum has to be replaced.  Had one on the 5th and it would like lock really hard.  New drum and no more lock.  If it only locks when wet, might be sticky ebrake cable.  Cable gets rusty and doesn't release all the way, can make brake touchy. Take the oil can and every chance you get, put a couple drops of oil on the cables.  That might free them.   Now I've made your day by giving you more work.

Ice Cold

• Dippy Oracle
  • Mopar or No Car
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 10:01:14 »

they are ugly :x just looking at pictures of them on a NAPA website, then looked at the price from rockauto,com even they want almost $40 each before shipping, I would rather go with original for that price!

The C/V pc is a much better quality pc and they have cooling fins, which my early M's don't have.
How much were stock drums? :umm:
1988 Fifth Ave
1987 Diplomat
1989 Diplomat AHB
1979 Lebaron Coupe
1977 Aspen R/T
All drivers.

AnalogRocks

• Dippy Junkie
  • Toronto, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 11:02:20 »

How are those Crown Vic drums for fit on the center hub?

Ice Cold

• Dippy Oracle
  • Mopar or No Car
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 11:23:08 »

How are those Crown Vic drums for fit on the center hub?

Not a problem, the C/V's just slide on like stock. In these parts they are less $ too. People should go to the parts jockey and look at the drums side by side. You can see the difference.
1988 Fifth Ave
1987 Diplomat
1989 Diplomat AHB
1979 Lebaron Coupe
1977 Aspen R/T
All drivers.

Snotzalot

• Dippy Die-Hard
  • Poconos USA
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 11:45:26 »

I did notice the brake shoes have a crack running lengthwise down the center, would that affect their action?

Yes cracked rear shoes will give you your symptoms of early brake lock up. Your shoes have over heated, cracked and will grab. This comes from the return springs being old and soft. The return springs on a Dip need to be replaced every time you re shoe the rears. Kits are less than $10 for the entire rear axle. The self adjusting kit should be replaced too.

I used to have similar rear lock up as you describe, found cracked shoes and didn't replace the spring kits. The new shoes would crack in a short length of time and would grab. I now replace the springs with every shoe replacement and I no longer have cracking and lock up problems.

This has been discussed a few times on this BB and others have found similar problems with cracked shoes, the fix was new shoes and spring kits.

Ark

• Ayatullah of Rock 'n Rolla
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Bloomington, IN
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 16:43:35 »

I didn't bother replacing the springs when I changed the shoes. Overheating figures as the likeliest cause of cracking like that.

If the shoes got toasted it's probably worth it to turn the drum too.
1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue, 360 4bbl .030 over, A727, 2.94, cop suspension and then some

1997 Saturn SL2, 1.9L DOHC 5spd

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 17:09:02 »

The C/V pc is a much better quality pc and they have cooling fins, which my early M's don't have.
How much were stock drums? :umm:

rock auto shows them for $36.89 each and they have the cooling fins, actually I have'nt seen many v8 M's that don't have fins on the drums most of the /6 cars don't tho hres a pic of rock autos factory replacement
When told the reason for daylight savings time an old Indian said, “only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket”

spooky

• Dippy Junkie
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 15:03:32 »

I was having a nasty locking problem on the drivers rear. Turned out the shoes were PAPER thin. No contamination but I rebuilt the wheel cylinders and put new axles seals on anyhow. New shoes and no problems locking anymore.

Also on my 73 dart the brakes were AWFUL. They would lock (all of 'em) if you just looked at the brake pedal sideways. I put a restriction in to the vacuum line from the engine to the brake booster and it helped a LOT.

CE

Erics5th

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 23:10:43 »

Don't get cheap-o house brand shoes. Get some Raybestos, Wagner, or even the premium Napa brand shoes. The cheap crap is just that..crap.
Pages: 1 [2] |   Go Up